/*Google Analytics code

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Can't Stop Now

With summer here my normal schedule has been thrown into absolute disarray. It seems like I should have lots of spare time, especially since I'm only working with my host children right now until the Kita reopens, and yet I can barely seem to find sufficient time to sleep, let alone blog. So this is going to be short and sweet. I'm hoping to pound this one out and then get the Istanbul post out right after. I've been getting some subtle hints from people that I need to update my blog, which helps to motivate me a bit. But I really do have some other really important things to get to and unfortunately this blog doesn't end up on the top of the list.

Right after my last blog I got sick. Just another cold. It might have had something to do with getting stuck in the city because the trains stop running at 1am on weeknights and having to walk around in the cold and rain for two hours. Or it might have just been fated to happen. Who knows. Anyway, I was pretty grumpy and we didn't do much. I did go to another Sunpilots concert though. It was pretty awesome and we got to hang out with our new friend Bobo again, who is now in Budapest (so hopefully I'll get to visit soon!). But really, the highlight of the night was that I was sort of following this guy around the room and before I could get the nerve up to talk to him he disappeared and reappeared on stage because he was the singer for the headlining band. Oh my goodness. I loved him. He played the accordion (among other things) and I even worked up the courage to speak to him afterward (in German!) so I could buy a CD. I'll probably be a regular attendee at all of his shows from now on, lol. So my next week was pretty normal (the last normal one I'll have for awhile, it seems). We finished up at the Kita and closed down for the summer. Thursday night I watched the semifinals for the European Championship in a beer garden. Unfortunately Germany lost to Italy and was out. Spain actually ended up taking the whole thing. On Friday we had a going away party for a friend. I was surprised at how unhappy I was that he was leaving. I mean, I'm pretty used to people leaving here. But I think it was because he was one of the very first people I met here and with everyone packing up and moving on I am trying desperately to hold on to anything that I can. He had an appropriately awesome moving on party though. It ended up being a great time. Then on Saturday I had to work because my host parents were going to see Madonna. They were ok with Martina hanging out with me since the majority of my working time was after the kids had gone to sleep. We ended up spending the whole night working on our resumes, since we're both trying to secure post-Au Pair jobs and be adults. After I got off work, around 1am, we were pretty burnt out from being on the computers, so we decided to go for a walk. It was lucky we got home when we did, because Berlin had a MASSIVE thunder and lightning storm that night. Seriously huge. It hit most of the city at the same time. But it was gorgeous and so awe inspiring to watch. Unfortunately, it's basically been switching between freaking hot and humid and drizzly, depressing rain ever since then. Not the way I like to spend my summer. I honestly cannot figure out how to dress when I go out in the mornings.

On to this past week. I had quite a bit of time off, which I used to work on my resume. Tuesday I tried to meet up with another girl who just got here who is also from Spokane. Imagine that! But we had some communication problems and never ended up finding each other. Wednesday I actually went to a Fourth of July picnic with a bunch of American and even non-American friends. We had a great time (my Snickerdoodle cookies were a huge hit!) and I was excited to both expand my circle of friends and my possible business network. I really am serious about this job hunt after all. Thursday I took my 4 year old to the Wasserwerkstatt, which is a sort of playground with all of these different water related activities that you can do. It's kind of a neat idea, though I didn't think it was well executed. And I promised her McDonald's afterwards, which turned out to be a harder promise to fulfill than I thought. I don't often drive outside my little area, so I had to use the GPS to get around. At one point it directed me onto a freeway and then lost signal. It was my first time on the freeway here. I only freaked out a little :) And I finally got to eat at Dolores, which is a burrito place similar to Qdoba back home. It was not everything I wanted and more, but it was definitely delicious and helped with my Mexican food cravings for the moment. Friday morning I took M to the aquarium, which I think I might have enjoyed more than her, but it at least helped the morning to pass by quickly. I also ate out on Friday, which is more than I usually spoil myself with. But it was to welcome a friend of a friend into town. And it was Indian food. I couldn't possibly say no to curry! We then had another sort of going away thing on Friday night, at the same bar actually. Being the person I am, I managed to burn my arm on one of the lights at the bar. Oh, and I didn't even mention that I tripped over something at Alexanderplatz on Thursday and broke one of my toes. Yep. That's me. Walking disaster.

So that's my last two weeks in a nutshell. Sorry it's so dense, but I just needed to get it down so I can work on the rest of my ridiculous to-do list. I don't even have a song for you today because I'm nursing quite the headache. But hopefully I'll have an Istanbul post in an hour or two to make up for it. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment