/*Google Analytics code

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Two Minutes in Heaven is Better Than One

I've got a little time to waste right now and I know my last post wasn't all that upbeat, so I thought I'd write a little something more for you guys. This last week and a half has been one of those crazy busy ones where just a ton of things happened. First of all, I made a lot of headway with my kids. J hugged me before I left the other night and it just made my night. We also spent a ton of time outside because the weather was gorgeous. It's much easier to get along with the kids when we're not all cramped up inside together. I worked last weekend, which is not the norm, but it was ok. I still managed to do some fun stuff. Friday Martina and I went to a concert for a band she knows called The Sunpilots. I had never heard their stuff before, but they were quite good and I really enjoyed it, despite there not being much of a crowd turnout.

On Sunday I took the kids to this Indiana Jones themed playground, which was pretty neat. It was also the farthest I've driven into the city so far. Driving is far less scary now, but I still haven't tackled filling up the gas tank. Later on Sunday evening I went to see The Hunger Games at the big theater at the Sony Center. Honestly, the movie was just ok, but this was still one of my favorite experiences since I got here. The theater was way cool. They draw the curtains in front of the screen before and after the movie, which gave it a really awesome old fashioned feel. You can also buy beer at the concession stand, because it's Germany of course. And I didn't get any popcorn, but I hear it's sweet, not salty. This is very strange to me. The thing that caught me off guard was that the theaters here assign you a seat when you buy the tickets. Luckily, we got excellent seats. And they were huge and plush and so comfortable. It really is a very nice theater. I think part of the reason I had such an awesome time at the theater though was that it made this city really feel like home. Going to see a movie is just something that we do all the time at home. It's not something you really do on vacation. Plus I went with my absolute best friends that I've met here, and we always have an excellent time together. So much laughter. I love them all to death.

This week has been my last real work for a bit. My host family is going on vacation and my language class is going to be closed for Easter break, which means I really only have to work at the Kita for the next two weeks. Score! I'm so looking forward to all the things we're going to do in that time. Martina also has the time off, so Berlin better look out!

I got a bit of a treat at the Kita on Tuesday. We took the older kids from our floor (the older kids being the 3 year olds) to the theater. It was a lot of fun piling all of the kids into the vans and going on an adventure. Plus, I understood the entire play in German! Granted, it was The Very Hungry Caterpillar and it was aimed towards toddlers, but I still think this is an accomplishment. And I've been trying to practice using my German more. I have noticed a huge jump over the last two weeks in the amount that I understand. This has really helped me to not feel so hopeless in my German learning.

Thursday was Martina's birthday and she invited me to have dinner with her host family, which was quite the honor. She loves them so much and is very protective of them. And I love that she is so happy with them. It's good to be around someone isn't constantly complaining about their host family. I think a lot of the au pairs forget that it is a job, and it's not always going to be easy. I appreciate people who realize just how good of a deal we are actually getting here.

Last night we went dancing for Martina's birthday. I had an awesome time. And only spent like €10. But I wore heels, so now my feet are killing me. It was definitely worth it though.

So, Martina is done showering now and we are going to the Hard Rock Cafe for her birthday tonight, which means I had better get a move on. I want to tell you about two things first. The Germans are smart people. They've had a lot of great ideas throughout history. But there are two things that they really just need to change. First of all, the streetlights. I don't understand why they don't put the streetlights on the far side of the street like in America. Honestly, it sucks being the first person in line at a street light because the lights are right above your head and you have to crane your neck up all crazy like to see them. I do appreciate that the yellow like comes on right before it turns green though so that you can prepare to go. I've been told it does this because Germans commonly shut off their motors at stop lights.

The second thing they need to work on is the doorbells. A delivery woman rang my doorbell this morning while I was asleep and I very nearly had a heart attack. It is the most terrifyingly aggressive noise. And so loud! Really, why can't it just ding or do a little song like at home? There is no need for it to be so crazy.

Today's song (and title) are in honor of Martina and her birthday. It's called Business Time by Flight of the Conchords. You can watch it here. It is absolutely hilarious and we sing it all the time. Loudly. At train stations or on the street. Because we are the loud, happy Americans and it makes the silent, staring Germans uncomfortable.

Life has picked up since the last post and I'm happy to say that I'm feeling much better now. Which is the most important thing I've learned since moving here. Even when things are hard or not going the way you want, you just have to remember that life is essentially awesome and it always gets better eventually.

Love you guys! I'll make sure to post again about my free week adventures soon!

P.S. A happy birthday shout out to Nichol! Love you miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment