/*Google Analytics code

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Getting Back on Track

I want to start off saying sorry for not having written before I left. Time got away from me and there was too much to do before I left for vacation. So this is just going to be a quick recap of what happened in that week and a half before I left. First of all, I had a weekend off because Germany had yet another public holiday. Ascension Day. It's something biblical, but I never really figured out what. So my host family was gone for the weekend. I ended up spending the whole time in Potsdam with Martina 1) because my hot water heater finally bit the dust for good and 2) because her host family was gone and we had to watch the dogs. But we had a good time. We watched trash TV and ate delicious food. We went running in Babelsberg Park with the dogs. We watched the men on the streets make fools of themselves for Herrentag (which I've been told is Father's Day, but it's really just an excuse for all the men to get drunk and loudly revel in the streets). Oh, and we dyed my hair, because I successfully made it a whole year without dying it :) And that Saturday we made the trek into town for our very good friend's birthday. There was barbecuing in the park, lots of sunshine, and thankfulness on my part for all of the wonderful people I've met here.

The whole next week was filled with nothing but work, cleaning my apartment, and packing. As per my usual travel, we only took carry ons, which always results in good times trying to make sure I haven't brought too much. I'm a pretty good lightweight traveler though (for a girl, anyway) and by May 29th I was 150% ready for my vacation. But that story will have to be for next time.

For tonight it is off to bed for me. I have a ridiculous load of work this week and I want to get through it with as little sleep deprivation as possible. My host parents are away for their anniversary, so I had to jump right back into work today and there won't be a lot of breathing time between now and next weekend. Not to mention the 600 pictures from Istanbul that I have to sort through.

One last thing, I'd like to send some birthday love to my mom. She's been there for me and supported me throughout this whole crazy international adventure and as much as I miss her, I know I couldn't have done any of this without her rational late night (I suppose mid-morning for her) talks and words of encouragement. I love you mommy and I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing birthday!

Oh, and of course, happy birthday to my dear Johnny Depp as well :)

Coming Soon: Istanbul!

No comments:

Post a Comment